The design of the surface dressing helps to ascertain the technologies and materials that are suitable for the relevant pavements. In the design process, ÜLE Ltd uses a meter that measures the hardness of the pavement, and the information from this can be inputted into a program which helps to determine the recommended dose of binder (bitumen) to be used in surface dressing.
Above all, the technology and the materials being used must be the right ones for that specific road. That is the first and most important part of any design for surface dressing. Before the start of surface dressing work and the end of the preparation of the road pavement by the client, the site is inspected alongside a representative of the client, and those solutions that meet the demands of both parties for surfacing the specific road can be agreed upon.
After this, the information required for the work is gathered together in the site legend or in a design, which is the basis for the performance of any strictly prescribed and required surface dressing work.
The project includes:
- Precise widths to be surfaced together with the location of wheel tracks in a cross-section of the road
- Data on the hardness of the covering as measured by a special tester.
- The characteristics of the road pavement structure as determined by a calliper and the sand circle method
- Besides considering the traffic intensity and the nature of the traffic, the road pavement and weather conditions, the materials used, and the aforementioned measurement results, the mixture of binder is determined by using a special program
- Any amendments to the spraying rate of binder pursuant to the change in road pavement and external conditions
The binder spraying rate, which is fundamental in terms of quality assurance, is approved by the client’s representative before the start of surface dressing.